Sunday, November 28, 2010

Book reviews of children's books

I am always on the lookout for kid's books that reflect parts of our family - my Indian born husband, my midwestern, U.S. born self, and our daughter, midwestern-born, part Indian, part American, part Indian, part white.  If I see an author of a kid's book with an Indian sounding name, I check it out from the library without even reading it first.  Now that we're settled in a midwestern small town, it feels essential to bulk up the Indian part of our experience/selfhood as a family because the white, American side gets a lot of exposure and becomes the only normalized experience if we're not careful.  I am looking for books.  Books about Indian families, books that reflect multiracial/multiethnic families (whether or not one parent depicted is either Indian or white).  So far, most of the books with Indian familes have two Indian parents (which I recognize is the case for most kids of Indian parents).  My quest continues, and I figure if I can throw enough good literary influences at her, she'll develop a richer curiosity and experience than she otherwise would have.

So here goes. . .another blog.  Let's chat about kid's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment