Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Dadima Wears a Sari

My Dadima Wears A Sari
By Kashmira Sheth

This is a beautiful book about an extended conversation a young girl has with her Dadima (grandmother) about the usefulness (some of it imaginary) and personal history of Dadima's saris.  The book has a playful, tender tone, and my daughter has taken a liking to it.  She now keeps asking me if she can wear a sari.  I tell her we'll have to wait until her dadi comes to town, so she can dress GG in it.  Incidentally, my daughter's dadi does not wear a sari every day or even most days.  But she does wear them sometimes (she wears a salwar kameez most days).  The story illustrates a nice perspective of a young girl who is not surrounded by people wearing saris everyday (in the U.S.), but who is close to her grandmother who does wear one.  She is intimately familiar with her grandmother's saris, yet her grandmother has a lot to teach her about them.  I plan to check out other Sheth books, including her chapter books for older kids.

Bonus from book:  While she was playing by herself yesterday, I heard G discussing the Gir Jungle that is mentioned in the book.

BookCover

No comments:

Post a Comment