Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Bookshop Dog

The Bookshop Dog
by Cynthia Rylant

I sometimes browse the kid's book sections of thrift stores to see what I can see.  One day, I came across this book in a thrift shop.  I leafed through it, and bought it without actually reading it simply because it contained an interracial relationship.  After I read the book, I liked it even better because the relationship wasn't even discussed as "interracial," but was presented as a natural part of the story.  Those kinds of visual and symbolic representations are important to me to "normalize" my daughter's experience in the world.  It's great when they occur in books that aren't explicitly about interracial relationships, but are presented as natural events in the story.  The book is a decent one in its own right.  It's about a woman who owns a bookshop and is very fond of her dog.  The woman has to be hospitalized for a medical condition (not a serious one), and the friends and acquaintances of the dog all fight over who gets to take care of her while her owner is away.  It's got some great little humorous bits in it as well that make my four year old laugh.  I'd recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment